Saturday, January 23, 2010

Scott Roberts


My wife, Mandy, and I have been married for 12 years, and we have 5 beautiful children-- Savannah (11), Kimball (9), Tessa (6), Lincoln (4), and Camille (1).

2009 was our best year, despite some trials. Camille, our youngest, was born last December with severe heart defects. She's had two open heart surgeries and two angioplasties in the past year. Her heart has been reconfigured to pump with a single atrium and a single ventricle. You can follow our adventures in hypoplastic left heart syndrome by registering here: http://www.carepages.com, and then going to http://www.carepages.com/tiptoe.

We are blessed to live close to both of our extended families in Virginia; we're even more blessed that we LIKE them (mostly). We're also blessed with lots of good friends who supported us during our months in the hospital with Camille. I'm reminded constantly of the Savior's injunction -- "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:35) We are grateful to live in a ward with so many of Christ's disciples.


By day, I'm a technical writer for a government contractor; I translate technical plans into plain English so non-technical management folks can understand them. When I'm not writing software development life-cycle documentation, I'm either working on my own writing, or editing for Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show. It figures that the job I love the most (editing/writing science fiction and fantasy) is the job that pays the least! :)

My favorite memories of the mission: tracting with Anziano Donald Sandberg in Settimo Torinese...really, doing ANYTHING with Anziano Sandberg. Visiting Anziano Alma Tolman in the hospital in Torino after his appendix almost ruptured... Speak Easy, aka, the Matt and Scott Show (I cannot believe Presidente Clegg allowed us to translate rock'n'roll songs as an advertisement for English classes)... ,Thanksgiving in 1996, in Milano Turro; caroling on the steps of the Duomo in Milan and doing strada; teaching Ophelia Redoma with Anziano Kent Roper-- again, doing ANYTHING with Anziano Roper was memory-making. :)


Scott M. Roberts
http://www.lordofallfools.com