Monday, November 2, 2009

Randy Adelman




It is difficult to choose a favorite memory from our mission. I look on the whole experience with tender feelings of great joy and appreciation for the opportunity to serve in such a select part of the Lord's vineyard and with such valiant companions.
As far a favorite memory, I would have to start at the beginning, my first month in the mission field. My MTC group and I arrived in Milan on December 21, 1994. I was fortunate enough to be assigned to Anziano Demartin, il mio babbo. We had long train ride from Milano to Genova, my first area. Upon arrival we went straight to the apartment and before I could even unpack we were on our way out the door to an appointment to teach a first discussion. I was extremely excited and nervous. With the language being a major struggle for me, so was that first discussion. Two things I had to rely on heavily were the Spirit and my testimony. Those two elements were my saving grace throughout my mission.
The next day was my first full day in Genova. My companion and I, with four other Anziani (Wooley and Webster, Jensen and Hutchings) made our way to a rest home where we sang Christmas carols (in Italian) to the elderly being cared for. It was a delight to see their eyes sparkle for a brief moment as they applauded and bellowed, "Bravo!" (I think for the effort). After some encouraging accolades, we just sat and visited with a few of our admiring fans, who were as sweet and precious as a grandmother, holding a hand or two as we sat and visited.
Later that evening, we took our caroling out on the streets in Genova, visiting a few homes of members along the way before retiring to our apartment. I was exhausted. Nevertheless, as I knelt in prayer beside my bed, I couldn't remember a time that I felt more alive and happy.
Today, I live in central Indiana, the heartland of America, with my wife, Stacey, and our two boys, Ethan (6) and Aidan (4). We own a vending business and work from home. In addition, I speak professionally as a corporate trainer.
Randy S. Adelman, Milan, Italy Mission, 1994 to 1996
17650 Sanibel Circle, Noblesville, IN 46062 (317) 690-2927 radelman2@verizon.net