Friday, November 6, 2009

Suzanne Spencer




I have a favorite memory of the mission that always makes me laugh. I remember being very new to Italy and to being a missionary. I was companions with Sorella Ruiz. We were attending a big dinner with some investigators and the Anziani were there as well. We had all sat down to eat. Of course the meal was amazing and tasted so delicious. One of the Anziani who will remain nameless said to me, “ Sorella, you ought to compliment the hostess on the delicious meal that she has prepared. Do you know how to say that?” Of course I didn’t because I couldn’t speak much of anything. He said to tell her, “Sono incinta!” I told her and got some weird stares and laughter as my companion told me it meant I was pregnant.
I miss that intense spirit that comes when serving and the choice time to focus all of our efforts on missionary work. I loved the people I had a chance to serve. I still have little memories and glimpses of their faces. I loved watching people get truly converted and seeing the power manifest itself in their lives.
I am currently keeping up with my three girls, ages 7, 5 and 1. I am working occasionally as a nurse at Primary Children’s Medical Center. My husband is CEO of AlloCure Biosciences. I love to do any kind of race from triathlons to marathons. We always have some house project going on at our house anything that involves dirt and power tools. We are looking forward to a fun relaxing summer.